Shahad Slow: A ₹50 Return Ticket.

     Shahad Slow: A ₹50 Return Ticket.

I still remember the day when I attended an evening weekend Mass. A lady held my hand and asked, “Are you engaged?” For a moment, I was left with a huge question mark on my face. With a heavy heart, I replied, “No.”

That simple question stayed with me. When I returned home, I decided that instead of worrying about what others expected from me, I would focus on my own growth. I decided to pursue B.Ed. as my fourth degree. When I shared my decision with my mother, she immediately encouraged me and said, “Yes, you can.”

The following year, I appeared for the CET examination, cleared it successfully, and secured admission for B.Ed. Little did I know that this decision would begin one of the most memorable journeys of my life.

Soon, my first semester examination arrived in March. I was excited because it meant travelling to Shahad, a small station nestled amidst mountains, rivers, and endless greenery. Situated on the Central Line, Shahad became more than just a destination; it became a part of my story.

I have always enjoyed travelling alone. Despite opposition from my family, I insisted on making the journey independently. Every examination day began before sunrise. At 5:18 a.m., I would board a fast train towards Dadar. Dadar was my first destination, where I changed lines and boarded the 6:18 a.m. slow train towards Shahad.

There I was—alone, with a rosary in my left hand, dreams in my eyes, fear in my heart, and answers in my mind. Through sleepy eyes, with songs by KK and Pritam playing in my ears, the long journey felt both peaceful and exciting.

After reaching the examination centre, I would attempt the two-hour paper and then begin the long journey back home. The return journey was often exhausting. Tired hands, aching legs, and a heavy bag accompanied me, but so did hope and faith.

The two years of B.Ed., spread across four semesters, were not easy. There were assignments, lesson plans, practical work, examinations, and countless hours of travelling. Yet I kept moving forward because my family had high hopes for me, and I wanted to make them proud.

One of the funniest memories from this journey involves a watch I purchased from Meesho for just ₹105. I proudly wore it during my examinations. However, on the day of my very last paper of the final semester, the watch stopped working half an hour before the examination ended. At that moment, I was completely confused and nervous. It felt as though even my watch had decided to retire before I did!

The last day of the final examination was particularly difficult. I was exhausted and drained while standing at Dadar station. My body wanted rest, but my heart knew that one final journey remained. Somehow, I managed to board the train and return home.

Looking back today, I realise that the Shahad Slow was much more than a train journey. It was a journey of courage, independence, faith, and perseverance. It taught me patience, responsibility, and self-confidence. Travelling alone showed me that sometimes the best companion on a journey is your own determination.

Most importantly, I successfully cleared all four semesters in my first attempt. That achievement made every early morning, every crowded train, every tiring journey, and every sacrifice worthwhile.

Today, when I think of Shahad Slow, I do not merely remember a train route. I remember a journey that transformed me—a journey that carried me closer to my dreams and helped me earn my B.Ed., my fourth degree, with pride.

Comments

Popular Posts